Wednesday, May 6, 2009

bye bye duckies!


The plan with the ducks was to raise them till they were big enough to survive and then turn them loose where there was a pond. Truth be told I couldn't handle the mess and even more the noise. We had made a little pen to keep them in one area of the yard where we could more easily clean up after them etc but those little boogers figured out how to get out constantly then they would come and cry at the back door (they wanted their momma!) Needless to say it was not conducive to sleeping after a long shift! We were able to convince Malerie that it was time to let them go. I took Mal, Kiley and Keaton to the park Saturday before Easter to let them go. It was harder then I thought to leave them there. I wasn't positive that they would be able to get in and out of the water and find enough food and that the bigger ducks would not pick on them. Malerie did surprisingly better then I had thought with it. We hung out and watched them for a while, but when we started walking away they followed chirping so loud after her! It was really sad.
I couldn't stop thinking about them so about a week later I took Keat and Mal back to check on them, not really sure if they would still be there. We started at one end of the park and walked all the way to the other where the water ended and of course we didn't see them. I was giving the kids all kinds of reasons why we didn't find them as we started back to the car I looked over and 2 little boys were sitting on big rocks in the water as they moved I could see the ducks!! The kids flipped, they were so excited. Mal hopped over and grabbed them and I am pretty sure they recogniized her! After playing with them for a bit we put them back in the water and they swam back to their rock. It was comforting to see that they were ok.
We've visited them a few more times and I can't believe how big they are now! They can almost fly and they have free range now. What a relief!



1 comment:

nelly said...

That is the cutest story! If Lilly had a nicer I'm sure her life would be full of stories like this.
I have a niece that found duck eggs once. She was determined to help them hatch. Long story short, the ducks started to hatch right before it was time to leave for church. She was not about the leave them alone and my sister wouldn't let her stay home. My bro-in-law's solution was that she bring the eggs with her to church in a little box. They hatched right there in the middle of sacrament meeting.

LIFE IS SHORT, BREAK THE RULES, FORGIVE QUICKLY,
KISS SLOWLY, LOVE TRULY, LAUGH UNCONTROLLABLY,

AND NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE!!