Monday, November 3, 2008

Our little Entrepreneur

(she has this little ring with a bunch of lanyards she is working on at one time!!)
Last week I received a call from the schools, assistant principal. She left me a message saying she needed to talk to me about Malerie. Malerie really? My brain was in overdrive thinking what she could have done? She can have a temper so maybe someone just pushed her over the edge? Any way after playing phone tag for a couple hours and my anxiety level climbing I finally just went in to the office to talk to her. After sitting down the Asst. Principal tells me Malerie is not in trouble but there was an incident with her and a group of friends that they just needed to make us aware of. Apparently her and this group of friends have been taking custom orders, and making lanyards and selling them at recess. She explained that they had a whole system going. The girls had actual LINES of kids that would place an order for what colors, and length they wanted. There was an order sheet with a price list etc. These little lanyards were quite in demand!! The school wasn't to keen on them selling/taking money from other kids so they just explained to them that this wasn't allowed, but they were not in trouble. The Asst. Principal said all of the girls were in tears and border line hysterics thinking they were in big trouble. It took some serious convincing to calm down!! I talked to her teacher the next day and she was a little disappointed that there little business got the ax, she said she didn't know they were selling them but since they had all gotten involved making the lanyards she hadn't had any problems at recess or with kids not getting along!! Both the teacher and the Asst. Principal offered the suggestion the the girls could maybe have a booth at the schools Candy Cane Lane, where they would be perfectly appropriate to sell. What a good learning experience and very clever girls!

2 comments:

Nikki said...

wow, that so takes me back! It just proves that everything "in style" comes back around again!. When I was making them in elementary school, my mom taught me how. I remember that she kept saying, "I can't believe that you want me to teach you this! We did this when I was a little girl!"
I see that they have that square shape down! I can teach them some other shapes and designs if they are interested?

Linda Bennett said...

Causing trouble...must take after their mom.

LIFE IS SHORT, BREAK THE RULES, FORGIVE QUICKLY,
KISS SLOWLY, LOVE TRULY, LAUGH UNCONTROLLABLY,

AND NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE!!