Thursday, August 14, 2008

Alaska part 3

Thursday June 19th - Kechikan

Unfortunately this was our shortest port and I wanted to see and do everything but there just wasn't time. I LOVED Kechikan at least for the few short hours we were there!! I seriously don't know what we did to get so lucky, but we had the most beautiful, perfect weather we could have hoped for!! Preparing for the unknown to come to Alaska everything we read said prepare for rain and waterproof everything, pack lots of layers..... It was awesome! Not to hot not to cold, blue clear skies and green as far as the eye can see!! I don't think I realized how rare this was until the pilot of our bush plane was explaining they maybe get 10 days a year like this! TEN??????

So in Kechikan the boys really wanted to do a fishing trip, so they had it all planned and were way stoked about it, so us girls (Charlotte, Lisa, and I) decided on a float plane trip up Misty Fjords. I have to admit I was a little torn! I really wanted to try something like this but I have a fear of those little noisy, bouncy planes not to mention the chance for some mean motion sickness. But hey you got to live a little right!!













It was one of the funnest things I have ever done and more beautiful than anything I could have imagined!! and surprisingly not near as bad as I had anticipated ( thanks to our good weather).
The pilot was very experienced and knowledgeable and told us some really fascinating facts about the Fjords, like the top of the peaks we were flying over were about 4000 ft. and everywhere they were rounded off they had been covered in ice. Also you could see all the massive cliff walls that were covered with glacier scrapings as they melted and shaped this beautiful place. We flew and got to land on a gorgeous lake that looked like glass with the green trees reflecting off of it and breathe the cleanest, freshest air in our whole country. We got a peak at a sea otter swimming. After about fifteen minutes we loaded back up and headed back. I think I took like 200-300 pictures! Right as we were flying over the bay into Kechikan the Pilot spotted Orca whales swimming so he did this whole dive bomb 360 thing I think twice! I was able to get a couple good pictures but I think the turns did me in because I suddenly wasn't feeling so hot!! Charlotte passed me back a puke bag and being the experienced thrower upper that I am was able to hold it over my mouth with my left hand while not missing a shot with my camera!! Who knew how talented I am! Puking aside the experience far exceeded all my expectations.
The boys (Eric, Eric and Dave) did not fair quite as well! The Salmon just weren't there. I think they had a good time but it was definitely disappointing to not catch any fish.(Eric Pottle did catch one but it wasn't big enough to keep). The whole experience made for a good story and gave them plenty of material for jokes!!

We made it back on the ship by noon enjoyed some lunch and relaxed for the afternoon.
Stubbs
Pottles
Perkins
Victoria, Canada
Friday June 20th- at sea/Victoria, Canada
Most of Friday we were at Sea. We got to Port in Victoria for a few hours.
I thought Victoria was a lot of fun and again wish we had more time to thoroughly explore. The architecture was amazing. We all 6 walked around, did a little shopping, found a restaurant for dinner and walked around some more and that was about the extent of it, but we for sure plan to go back when we can stay longer!
Saturday June, 21st -Seattle

We finally made it off the ship went back to the hotel we had stayed at to meet up with the Stubbs. We grabbed some lunch down on the pier to kill time before we headed to the airport. It was sad for it to come to an end but we were more than ready to see our kids and rescue Eric's parents who so graciously agreed to watch our kids so we could do this fun adventure. A million thank yous to them!!

2 comments:

Andre, Melissa and Jolie said...

I am glad that you guys had such a fun time, I know it was a long time to wait, but well worth it. The other day I was listing to the radio and one of the DJ's just went on an Alaska cruise and he said it was miserably cold and rained everyday. You guys are so lucky you had great weather!! All the pictures turned out so great!

Michelle said...

What beautiful pictures of Alaska! Looks like you had a blast on your trip and what great weather you had! Too bad there weren't any fish. Wish we could have gone with you.

LIFE IS SHORT, BREAK THE RULES, FORGIVE QUICKLY,
KISS SLOWLY, LOVE TRULY, LAUGH UNCONTROLLABLY,

AND NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE!!